Money Economics Forums

Go Back   Money Economics Forums > General Finance Discussions and Tools > General Financial Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Financial Discussions All topics related to finance are discussed here. Cost of raising kids, dogs, and gold fish are all welcomed. =)

Article Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Lord of the Manor

AuCoq08 has made the first round of moneyAuCoq08 has made the first round of moneyAuCoq08 has made the first round of moneyAuCoq08 has made the first round of moneyAuCoq08 has made the first round of money
Submit to Facebook Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Want to guess how much Americans spend on weed per year?

Quote:
Pot is often called the biggest cash crop in America. The Fraser Institute, a conservative Canadian think tank, estimates that U.S. consumers spend as much as $110 billion a year on marijuana and cash-strapped state governments are starting to see marijuana as a potentially lucrative revenue source.
The Business of Buds: Why Marijuana Prices May Head Lower

Comments on this post
KyleHwang Agrees: That's almost 1% of our GDP!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AuCoq08 For This Useful Post:

Want to guess how much Americans spend on weed per year?

This article is empty. Click on 'Edit' to modify its content.

Contributors: AuCoq08
Created by AuCoq08, 08-15-2010 at 09:04 PM
Last edited by AuCoq08, 08-15-2010 at 09:04 PM
10 Comments , 2575 Views
Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
The Butcher

2by4 has made the first round of money2by4 has made the first round of money2by4 has made the first round of money
Submit to Facebook Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl

I am all for legalizing pot. At least it will help pay for all the expenses...and we can have cops doing real cop work other than busting growers/dealers.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 AM
I got you beat

BigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by money

Isn't California trying to pass a law legalizing (with taxes) on marijuana? For a state as chilled as California, it sounds like a great thing. And the revenue generated might delay their demise.

You don't lose your home in the event of a bankruptcy too! :D
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM

saved1986 understands first round of money isn't enoughsaved1986 understands first round of money isn't enoughsaved1986 understands first round of money isn't enoughsaved1986 understands first round of money isn't enoughsaved1986 understands first round of money isn't enoughsaved1986 understands first round of money isn't enough

I do not even smoke that stuff and I am all for legalizing and taxing it big time.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I Pity the Fool~

Madmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by money

The $110 Billion is probably street value currently. If legalized, the value will probably drop to less than the 50% they assumed in their calculation. Their use of standard microeconomics analysis is quite interesting.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Lord of His Domain

Java_Guru has made the first round of moneyJava_Guru has made the first round of moneyJava_Guru has made the first round of moneyJava_Guru has made the first round of money

I prefer the Bob Stutman's argument here: Legalize Marijuana for Tax Revenue. People will be less productive if they are *high* or will have lots of negative impacts on others. How do you like your cab driver that's high? Worse yet, bus driver...

Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I got you beat

BigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by moneyBigSlick truly understands what its means by money

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
I do not even smoke that stuff and I am all for legalizing and taxing it big time.
Black market will still be around if you tax them too much.

You don't lose your home in the event of a bankruptcy too! :D
Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 AM
I Pity the Fool~

Madmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by moneyMadmark truly understands what its means by money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
Isn't California trying to pass a law legalizing (with taxes) on marijuana? For a state as chilled as California, it sounds like a great thing. And the revenue generated might delay their demise.

Oakland is well ahead of this game. =) If they pass Prop 19 in November, then they will probably be working on taxing them well too. You can carry up to an ounce and be legally fine.

Oakland Approves Giant Marijuana Farms

Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Deal Connoisseur

Zenster understands first round of money isn't enoughZenster understands first round of money isn't enoughZenster understands first round of money isn't enoughZenster understands first round of money isn't enoughZenster understands first round of money isn't enoughZenster understands first round of money isn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java_Guru View Post
I prefer the Bob Stutman's argument here: Legalize Marijuana for Tax Revenue. People will be less productive if they are *high* or will have lots of negative impacts on others. How do you like your cab driver that's high? Worse yet, bus driver...
They won't make it to work being that high.

Article Tools